I absolutely LOVE Banana Bread. It is my kryptonite. But the problem with banana bread is it is HIGH in refined sugars!!! And then add on the glaze on top of banana bread (as you see at Starbucks), and there you go again more refined sugars! Banana bread contains AT LEAST 1 cup of refined sugar. As Chris mentions in his past sugar post, we really encourage limiting sugar intake for your health and to prevent chronic disease.
Like most baked goods, banana bread also contains horrible oils! Again my kryptonite, especially when vegetable oils wreak havoc my stomach and cause major inflammation in the gut. I deconstruct oils for your health in my previous post found here.
For this recipe, I have adapted a previous recipe using no-refined sugars, coconut oil, and also gluten-free flour. We discovered organic plaintain flour while we were in Costa Rica at one of our favorite organic cafes called Organico Fortuna. Plaintain flour is delicious and goes great in this recipe. To boot, it is gluten-free! We also recently have been experimenting using cassava flour, which is similar to plaintain flour and again tastes amazing in this recipe. You can find both plaintain and cassava flour on amazon. The cassava flour we use is found here. These flours are Autoimmune Paleo friendly as well.
I made this recipe for friends and family, and they all love it! Try it out and always know you can adapt for your tastes and needs!
- 1/2 c Coconut Oil
- 1/2 c Maple Syrup
- 2 eggs
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1 1/4 c Plaintain or Cassava Flour (gluten-free)
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 c Chopped Walnuts, 1/2 cup for in bread mix and 1/4 cup to sprinkle on top
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Melt coconut oil and then combine with maple syrup until fluffy by whisking. Add eggs, one at a time. Add bananas.
- Combine flour and baking soda in separate large bowl. Mix together.
- Add banana mixture into dry ingredients. Add 1/2 cup of chopped walnuts. Pour into coconut oil greased loaf pan. Sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup chopped walnuts on top of batter.
- Bake for 40 minutes.