Recently, I have completely eliminated refined sugars. Before I started weaning off of sugar, it was INCREDIBLY hard for me to find breakfast inspiration that did not include sugar (or even sweeteners). Years before I started my “food is medicine” journey, a typical breakfast consisted of a high sugar scone, muffins, or any other pastry that I could get my hands on. It wasn’t until I realized that these high sugar breakfast options (even if so delicious) caused me more pain than gain, especially for the start of my long day.
These high sugar diets would result in me crashing in the middle of the day and result in awful mood swings, otherwise noted as EXTREME “hangry” symptoms (Chris explains all of these sugar effects here in this post and this one) that left me literally unable to continue the day until I scarfed down more food. When I started my “no sugar” diet, I realized the benefits. And the benefits were so apparent from the first meal that I ate (in my opinion one of the most important). Instead of choosing high sugar breakfast options, I decided to opt more for something that would sustain me during the day and that I could also enjoy.
This recipe is one of those that contains high fat and protein (along with good probiotics!) with NO sugar that is my go to start me off in the morning and to keep my energy levels consistent throughout the day.
*The recipe also can be dairy-free as well. I recently found a new dairy-free yogurt that I absolutely love. It is CoYo Dairy Free Coconut Milk Yogurt.
- 1 c Greek Yogurt, if you are dairy-free, (like me!) swap in your favorite dairy free yogurt
- 1 tbsp. Coconut Milk (we like SO Delicious Dairy Free Culinary Coconut Milk)
- 2 tbsp. Almond Butter (freshly ground almond butter! with no added sugars)
- 1 tsp. Coconut Flakes (preference)
- This recipe is so simple, which makes it nice for a quick breakfast! Measure out yogurt in a small bowl, top with coconut milk, and then almond butter. You can also sprinkle with coconut flakes if you like!